The Heat Transfer and Multiphase Flow Lab is based in the Mechanical Engineering Department at Penn State University. Our interests center on the fundamental transport phenomena in single- and multi-phase fluid flows and how they relate to the environment and energy sustainability. Our aim is to realize system-level improvements using knowledge gained from experimental, numerical, and field studies.
We are a multidisciplinary lab group with expertise in
- Experimental characterization using: Particle image velocimetry (PIV), tomographic-PIV, high-speed visualization, and infrared (IR) thermography
- Oceanographic field measurements: optical particle sizing (LISST-100X, LISST-Holo2), in-situ turbulence measurements (freefall profiler)
- Image processing and particle/bubble image analysis
- Electrochemical multiphysics modeling
- Advanced thermal-fluid characterization